Los Angeles, CA (April 4, 2023) — The driver accused of causing a multiple car crash in August of last year that left six people dead has now been charged for the incident. The driver, 37-year-old Nicole Linton, was arrested in August 2022 following the accident on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence. However, […]
Recent Fatal Car Accidents in California
California reported approximately 4,161 motor vehicle deaths in 2021. This is a slight increase from the previous year. Though car accidents happen across the globe, daily, the Sunshine State has the highest number of licensed drivers at approximately 27 million. It makes sense that recent fatal car accidents in California would occur at a higher rate than in other states.
If you have been impacted by the loss of a loved one in one of many recent fatal car accidents in California, you may be entitled to compensation. An experienced fatal car accident attorney can help you understand your legal rights to recovery.
California Fatal Car Accident Statistics
Latest Accident News
To understand the gravity of vehicle accidents in California, here are some impactful California fatal car accident statistics.
- Across the United States in 2020, there were 35,766 total fatal vehicle accidents;
- California had the most fatal car crashes in 2020 at 3,558, and Washington D.C. had the least amount at 34;
- California had 14.2 million registered vehicles in 2020, almost double that of the next highest state;
- California ranks second when it comes to fatal car accidents caused by alcohol impairment, following Texas; and
- There were 15,342 serious injuries on California roadways in 2020, and the number is expected to increase year over year.
Recent fatal car accidents in California have occurred all across the state. Many of the more traffic-congested cities are prone to collisions because of the high volume of vehicles on the road. Rural areas may lack proper lighting or roadway maintenance.
Fatal Car Accident Today in California
There are a number of ways that recent fatal car accidents in California occur. Here are some national and California fatal car accident statistics related to types of accidents:
- In 2020, the Insurance Information Institute found 6.8% of fatal car crashes were attributed to rear-end collisions;
- The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reports that T-bone (side-impact) collision accidents accounted for 23% of vehicle occupant deaths in car accidents in 2020; and
- The also IIHS reported that head-on collisions account for 58% of passenger vehicle occupant deaths.
Compiling all the fatal accidents in 2020, 56% of passenger vehicle driver deaths were car drivers, 23% were SUV drivers, and 20% were pickup drivers. This does not take into account commercial vehicles. Fatal car accidents occur every day in California.
Fatal Car Accident Attorney
If your loved one was killed on a California roadway because of someone else’s negligent or intentional behavior, you may be entitled to seek justice and compensation for your loss. Navigating the legal system in any state is complicated, and arguably more so in California.
The team at Starpoint Law understands the intricacies of the legal landscape across the state. We are particular about the cases we take and are zealous in fighting for the rights of our clients, which is why we maintain an impeccable record of successful representation and have recovered millions for personal injury victims and their families across California. Contact us to schedule your free case consultation.
Recent Fatal Car Accidents
Stay up to date on fatal car accidents across the state, and learn more about what to do if someone you love is in a motor vehicle crash in California. It is important to understand your legal options. Check back to read about a particular fatal car accident today in California or others in recent fatal car accidents.