How to Get a California Highway Patrol Accident Report
A driver, passenger, property owner, vehicle owner, parent of a minor, or legal guardian of an individual involved in an accident can request a copy of a California Highway Patrol (CHP) accident report.
These “parties of interest” can obtain a copy of the accident report by going to any CHP office and paying a small fee, or request a copy through the mail.
In some cases, you can also have your insurance provider obtain a copy of the accident report and give you the copy.
To obtain an incident report, print and complete the form Application for Release of Information, CHP 190, which you can submit in person or mail to your nearest area office.
You can search for an office by clicking here.
Accident Report Form Instructions
When submitting the California highway patrol accident report form, be sure to include:
- The date and location of the accident (if you do not know the exact date or location, provide an approximate date and list as much information as possible for the location);
- The name of the driver or owner of the vehicle;
- List your Party of Interest as driver, passenger, property owner, vehicle owner, parent of minor, or legal guardian; and
- Your signature and applicable fees.
There is a fee of $10 for accident reports between 1-25 pages long. You should send a check or money order made out to the “California Highway Patrol” (if requesting a copy by mail) along with your request. List the report number on the check if you know it.
Also, include a photocopy of your driver's license or picture identification card. If you do not have either, your signature must be notarized.
When the CHP receives your request and approves you as a “party of interest,” a copy of the CHP incident report will be mailed to your address once payment is received.
You can’t obtain a copy of an accident report if the CHP did not investigate the incident.
If you do not know which police department investigated the collision, contact your local police department or the CHP office for assistance.
Fill Out the Form Below With the Details of Your Accident
CHP Office Locations
The CHP office locations in Los Angeles are listed below with their hours of operation:
- (565) West Los Angeles: https://www.chp.ca.gov/Find-an-Office/Southern-Division/Offices/(565)-West-Los-Angeles)
6300 Bristol Parkway
Culver City, CA 90230
- (590) Central Los Angeles: https://www.chp.ca.gov/Find-an-Office/Southern-Division/Offices/(590)-Central-Los-Angeles
777 West Washington Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90015
- Southern Division: https://www.chp.ca.gov/Find-an-Office/Southern-Division
411 N. Central Avenue
Glendale, CA 91203
We know getting an accident report can be frustrating. Our staff at Starpoint Law are always glad to help you through the process.
If you have questions about your car accident and a potential personal injury claim, contact our office today for free advice.