Employment Lawyer | Sherman Oaks
Employment law governs the complex relationships between employers and employees and covers numerous employment issues, rules, and regulations.
An employment lawyer in Sherman Oaks can play a crucial role in this process, provide expert guidance, and protect employees’ rights, helping to ensure employers treat employees fairly and legally.
Keep reading to explore the role of an employment lawyer and when you might need one.
What Does an Employment Lawyer Do?
What does an employment lawyer do? Employment lawyers are legal professionals specializing in federal and state workplace laws and regulations.
Depending on the case, they focus on employer-employee relationships and can represent either employees or employers.
Some of the key issues an employment lawyer handles include the following:
- Discrimination and harassment—If you face discrimination or harassment at work based on race, gender, age, disability, religion, or other protected characteristics, an employment lawyer can help you understand your rights and file a claim.
- Wage and hour disputes—Employment lawyers can assist in cases involving unpaid overtime, minimum wage violations, meal and rest breaks violations, and the misclassification of workers as independent contractors.
- Wrongful termination—If you believe your employer fired you illegally, an employment lawyer can help determine if your termination was unlawful and guide you through the legal process.
- Employment contract negotiations and disputes—Employment attorneys can assist in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating employment contracts, non-compete agreements, and severance agreements or in resolving disputes arising from contract violations.
- Family and medical leave issues—An employment lawyer can help employees understand their rights under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and other leave-related laws.
- Workplace safety—Employment lawyers can advise on compliance with workplace safety regulations and help address concerns about hazardous working conditions.
- Arbitration and litigation—Employment lawyers can represent clients in court, arbitration, or administrative hearings related to employment disputes.
- Whistleblower protections— Employment lawyers can help protect the legal safeguards that shield individuals who report misconduct or illegal activities within an organization from retaliation or adverse consequences.
All these issues can be complex and require specialized legal knowledge and expertise. But a Sherman Oaks employment lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and the law and work to hold your employer accountable for their actions.
When Does an Employee Need an Employment Lawyer?
When does an employee need an employment lawyer?
Employees may need to consult an employment lawyer in Sherman Oaks when they believe their employer violated their workplace rights or require legal advice or representation.
Specific situations where employees commonly work with employment attorneys include the following:
- Filing a complaint or claim related to discrimination, harassment, or retaliation;
- Resolving a wage and hour dispute or seeking unpaid overtime;
- Needing assistance with an employment contract;
- Negotiating a severance package;
- Navigating a wrongful termination claim or a dispute involving a non-compete agreement; and
- Encountering issues related to medical or family leave.
In all these situations, a Sherman Oaks employment lawyer can help protect your rights and navigate the legal process to achieve a fair outcome.
Just be sure to consult with an employment lawyer as soon as you suspect your employer violated your rights. Timely action can help ensure you receive appropriate remedies and protect your interests.
How Much Does an Employment Lawyer Cost?
How much does an employment lawyer cost? The cost of hiring an employment lawyer in Sherman Oaks can vary depending on the attorney’s experience, a case’s complexity, and the firm’s billing methods.
Some attorneys charge hourly rates, ranging from $250 to $500 per hour or more. Others charge a flat fee for specific services or work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they take a percentage of any settlement or award received.
Contingency fees can be an attractive option for employees who lack the funds to pay upfront for legal representation. This is because the lawyer receives payment only if they successfully resolve the case.
In a contingency fee case, payment typically amounts to a percentage of the settlement or award, ranging from 25% to 40% of the total recovery amount.
But a flat fee is often more cost-effective for simpler matters, such as reviewing an employment contract.
Discussing and understanding an attorney’s fee structure before hiring them is essential. However, it is also good to remember that while cost is a crucial factor, it should not be the sole determinant in choosing an attorney. Be sure to also consider experience, reputation, and communication skills.
How Do I Find a Sherman Oaks Employment Attorney?
Finding a reliable and experienced employment lawyer in Sherman Oaks can be crucial to achieving the best possible case outcome. But finding an attorney you want to work with can take some effort.
If you are seeking a Sherman Oaks employment lawyer, it’s essential to do your research and choose someone with a solid reputation, relevant experience, and excellent communication skills.
Make sure they also have a concrete record of success and a commitment to providing clients with personalized attention.
To find a reputable Sherman Oaks employment attorney, consider doing the following:
- Research online—search for employment lawyers in Sherman Oaks and read their reviews, testimonials, and case results;
- Seek referrals—ask friends, family, or colleagues for recommendations;
- Consult the California State Bar—verify the lawyer’s license and check for any disciplinary actions or complaints against them;
- Schedule consultations—many employment lawyers offer a free initial consultation, which you can use to discuss your case and evaluate whether the attorney fits your needs.
Follow the tips mentioned above, and you should be able to find a reliable and experienced attorney who can guide you through your employment law claim.
Starpoint: Sherman Oaks Employment Lawyers You Can Trust
Hiring an employment lawyer in Sherman Oaks is an important decision one should never take lightly.
We founded our firm on the core principles of empathy, integrity, commitment, and trust. We treat every case as if it’s our only one, providing clients with the personal and focused service they deserve.