Under state and federal regulations, companies have a legal duty to make sure that they are putting reasonably safe products on the market.
When a defective product causes injuries to consumers, the negligent companies can be held legally responsible.
Through a product liability lawsuit, injured victims can get justice and fair financial compensation.
As product liability claims are notoriously complex legal cases, it is imperative that victims seek professional legal representation.
At Starpoint Law, our top-rated Los Angeles product liability lawyers are committed advocates for injured victims.
We know how to hold negligent product designers, manufacturers, and marketers accountable for their misconduct. Our law firm helps injured victims maximize their compensation.
If you or your loved one suffered an injury as a result of a dangerous or defective product, please do not hesitate to contact our law firm for a free case evaluation.
Types of Product Liability Claims
Product liability claims come in a number of different forms. At Starpoint Law, our Los Angeles defective product attorneys handle the full range of product liability cases. No matter the specific nature of the product, we are prepared to review your case and help you understand your rights and your options. Generally, product liability claims fit into one of the following three basic categories:
- Defective Design: Products that are defective in their design have an inherent flaw at their core. In this type of case, the plaintiff is alleging that an entire line of products — though seemingly manufactured without error — is defective because the design itself is fundamentally unreasonable and dangerous.
- Defective Manufacturing: With this type of product liability case, the plaintiff alleges that a mistake or error in the manufacturing process caused their specific unit to be defective and dangerous. The product design itself may be fine, but a problem in manufacturing resulted in their specific unit being unreasonably dangerous.
- Failure to Warn: Companies also have a duty to issue basic safety warnings to consumers. Companies that fail to properly instruct companies on the dangers of a product, and how to use a product in a
safe manner, could potentially be held legally responsible for any resulting injuries.
Understanding California’s Product Liability Laws
Product liability laws are especially complex. In California, designers, manufacturers, and sellers may be held strictly liable for injuries caused by a defective product.
Under the strict liability standard, a plaintiff is not required to prove that the defendant was ‘negligent’ in designing, producing, or selling the defective product.
In contrast to most other personal injury cases, strict liability claims do not turn on the “wrongful” actions of the defendant. To establish liability under this standard, plaintiffs must generally prove the following three things:
- An unreasonably dangerous product was sold;
- The product was used as “intended” or was used in a reasonably foreseeable manner; and
- The plaintiff was actually injured by the defective product.
To be clear, strict liability does not mean automatic liability. Quite the contrary, companies will often try to raise defenses when facing this type of lawsuit.
For example, a defendant may try to argue that the injured victim used the product in an unreasonable or unforeseeable manner.
Alternatively, a defendant may attempt to argue that the victim altered the product on their own — thereby excusing any liability. Alternatively, a defendant may argue that the plaintiff was fully aware of certain inherent risks associated with the product — challenging whether it was defective at all.
If you or your loved one was injured by a product, you should be represented by a qualified personal injury lawyer who can help you hold the company liable.
You Have a Limited Amount of Time to Bring a Product Liability Claim
Under California law (California Code of Civil Procedure 335.1), plaintiffs generally have two years to bring a personal injury claim.
If you fail to file a product liability lawsuit within two years of the date of the accident, your claim will likely be automatically dismissed. In other words, you will lose your case without ever getting an actual hearing on the merits.
Do not let this happen to you. Get help from a product liability lawyer Los Angeles as soon as possible after an accident.
Injured Victims Deserve Fair Compensation
Recovering full and fair compensation through a product liability claim can be challenging. Big companies and their insurers want to find a way to settle these claims for the lowest dollar amount possible.
They are reluctant to offer plaintiffs the full financial relief that they deserve. Injured victims deserve a strong legal advocate on their side.
At Starpoint Law, our Los Angeles product liability attorneys know how to hold corporations and their insurance carriers accountable. We can help you maximize your compensation. You and your family may be eligible to recover damages for:
- Property damage and other economic losses;
- Ambulance fees and emergency room care;
- Other related medical bills and rehabilitative expenses;
- Loss of current and future earnings;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress;
- Long-term disability;
- Disfigurement/scarring; and
- Wrongful death damages.
How Our Los Angeles Defective Product Lawyers Can Help
For big companies and their insurance providers, there is often a lot on the line in product liability cases. Ultimately, these companies are focused on their own profits and financial interests. They are known to handle product liability claims in an aggressive manner.
Injured victims and their family members need a skilled legal advocate on their team to help level the playing field. When you work with us, our top-rated Los Angeles product liability attorneys will:
- Conduct a free assessment of your case;
- Investigate the defective product and the resulting accident;
- Help you understand your rights and your options;
- Work with doctors and other medical professionals to get you the best care;
- Build a strong product liability claim;
- Negotiate for a full settlement with defendants and insurers; and
- Bring a product liability lawsuit.
Contact Our Los Angeles, CA Product Liability Lawyers Today
At Starpintooint Law, our California defective product lawyers are strong, aggressive advocates for injured victims. If you or your family member was injured by a defective or dangerous product, our legal team will help you hold negligent companies accountable.
To schedule a free, no obligation case evaluation, please do not hesitate to reach out to us today. We represent clients in Los Angeles and throughout Southern California.