How to Obtain a Copy of a Los Angeles Accident Report
It is extremely important to have all the necessary details for your car accident claim. Obtaining a copy of your accident report can provide you with proof of the accident, parties and vehicles involved, location, time, damages, and injuries caused.
If you’ve recently been involved in a car accident, and the LAPD has filled out a report, you can now receive a copy from the Los Angeles Police Department.
How can I obtain a copy of my accident report in the city of Los Angeles?
Online- Obtain Accident Report through the city's website.
The easiest process of obtaining your accident report is by visiting the website of the city’s police department – Los Angeles Police Department. A few details will need to be provided in order to pinpoint your specific accident report. The following details are needed:
- Date of accident (must be exact)
- Location of accident
- Last name of victim
Get a copy of your Los Angeles Accident Report here.
Once you’ve completed the previous steps, a list of all reports will be provided. By using the report number that a police officer gave you at the time of the accident, you are able to search for your report to download.
Keep in mind there is a convenience fee in addition to the nominal fee to download a copy of your Los Angeles Accident Report.
Mail order -Obtain Accident Reports via United States Mail
In order to request your accident report in Los Angeles, you will need to download and fill out the Traffic Collision Request Report document, and mail it with a $33.00 check or money order made payable to the LAPD.
Mail to the following address:
Los Angeles Police Department
Records and Identification Division
P.O. Box 30158
Los Angeles, CA 90030
Download the Los Angeles Accident Request Report.
Another way to obtain your accident report is through a written request.
Be sure to include the following pieces of information:
- Type of report (traffic)
- Requester’s name (your name), Address, Telephone Number
- LAPD Report (DR) Number
- Requester’s Date of Birth
- Name(s) of parties involved in accident report
- Date and Time of accident
- Location of accident
- License Plate Number and State of Registration of vehicles involved
- Your interest in this report – involved party, insurance company, parent/guardian, authorized representative.
- Include release forms for authorized parties, insurance companies, and proof of guardianship
- Include the statement, “I declare this statement is true and correct, sign and date your request.”
Important notes to remember when requesting an accident report:
- When you have all of the information listed above, make sure to include a check or money order for the processing/nominal fee and send it to the police department's mailing address. A copy of your report will then be mailed to your home address to retain for your records.
- Traffic Collision Reports involving an arrest, fatality, or juvenile can not be released online- must be requested through United States Mail.
- Allow a minimum of 45 days from the date of the accident before attempting to obtain a copy of your accident report in Los Angeles.