Jones Act Attorney Serving the State of California
The Jones Act is a federal law that regulates maritime commerce. Among a wide array of other things, the Jones Act contains provisions that provide important protections to people who work on the sea. Injured maritime workers have the right to hold negligent employers liable through a Jones Act claim.
At Starpoint LC, Attorneys at Law, our California Jones Act lawyer is a compassionate and aggressive advocate for injured workers. We fight tirelessly to hold businesses, employers, and insurance companies accountable.
If you or your loved one was injured while working at sea, our Jones Act attorneys are standing by, ready to help. To schedule a free, no-obligation review of your maritime injury case, contact our Los Angeles law office right away.
Jones Act: Understanding the Basics
Who is Covered By the Jones Act?
The Jones Act covers employees who work as a ‘seaman’. Under the law, the term seaman has been defined as a person who performs a significant amount of their job on a vessel. It should be noted that it is not always easy to determine who qualifies as a ‘seaman’ for the purposes of the Jones Act.
There are often disputes over this issue. Do not assume that you do not qualify for protection. If you were injured while working on a boat or a ship, you should speak to a Jones Act attorney about your case.
What Does the Jones Act Do?
For workers, the most important thing that you need to know about the Jones Act maritime law is that it provides a path for a ‘seaman’ to file a lawsuit against a negligent employer. Under California law, most injured workers are prevented from filing personal injury lawsuits against their employer — instead, they are required to pursue financial support through a workers’ compensation claim.
However, the Jones Act gives injured maritime workers the right to hold negligent employers liable.
What is Negligence Under the Jones Act?
Negligence is the failure to take due care or adequate safety precautions. The Jones Act requires all covered employers to ensure that:
- Maritime workers are provided reasonably safe conditions on the job; and
- Their vessels are maintained and kept in a reasonably safe condition.
If an employer fails to take proper safety measures and a worker suffers an injury, that employer can be held legally liable through a Jones Act injury claim. Ultimately, these are highly fact-specific cases. If you or your loved one suffered an injury while working on a boat or a ship, you should speak to a top-rated California Jones Act attorney right away.
RECENT ACCIDENT NEWS HAPPENING AROUND CALIFORNIA
- Family Seeks Answers Following Last Month’s Runaway Tire Accident On 10 Freeway
- Driver Arrested in Connection with Suspected DUI Crash that Injured 4 Children
- 1 Killed and 2 Injured in 4-Car Crash Along Highway 101
- 33-Year-Old Amber Lawson Identified as Pedestrian Killed in Accident Along US 65
- Driver in Crash that Killed Pedestrian Arrested on DUI and Manslaughter Charges
- Series of Head-On Collisions Along Highway 41 Kills 1, Injures 6 Others
Were You Injured While Working At Sea?
While there are risks in every workplace, working at sea can be especially dangerous. Similarly, shipping companies, fishing operations, and other maritime employers must always put safety before profits. Maritime workers deserve fair conditions. Unfortunately, in far too many cases, companies simply fail to abide by their duties.
Additionally, maritime accidents come in a wide array of different forms. Some of the most common maritime injuries that our California Jones Act lawyers see include:
- Injuries caused by improper training or procedures;
- Slip and fall and trip and fall accidents;
- Back injuries and muscle strains from lifting heavy objects;
- Hand injuries, arm injuries, and other heavy machinery injuries;
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) caused by falls or falling objects; and
- Boat collision injuries.
Compensation Available to Injured Victims
Following a serious maritime accident, injured workers are often left dealing with a stack of medical bills, missed paychecks, and substantial pain and suffering. Seamen and other maritime employees need access to full and fair financial compensation so that they can support themselves and their family through their recovery.
Sadly, employers and insurance companies rarely make the claims process easy. Do not go up against the insurance company by yourself. You need professional representation. Our Jones Act injury attorneys know how to help plaintiffs maximum their financial support. Depending on the nature of your claim, you may be eligible to obtain compensation for:
- Emergency medical treatment;
- Other medical bills and expenses;
- Physical therapy and rehabilitative care;
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering;
- Permanent disability or disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Our California Jones Act Attorneys
Additionally, if you were hurt while working at sea, it is imperative that you seek guidance from an experienced Jones Act injury lawyer. Maritime injuries cases are complex legal claims — remember, they are governed by specialized rules and regulations. At Starpoint LC, Attorneys at Law, our California Jones Act lawyers have the skills and experience needed to protect your rights. When you reach out to our law firm, you will get a maritime injury attorney who is prepared to:
- Comprehensively review your legal claim;
- Explain your rights and options under the Jones Act;
- Investigate the accident — obtaining important evidence;
- Work directly with medical professionals and experts to document your injuries;
- Handle all communications with insurance adjusters; and
- Building a winning Jones Act injury case.
Similar to other personal injury claims, many Jones Act cases reach a settlement. Ultimately, the primary objective of the insurance company is to make a case go away for the lowest dollar amount possible. Unfortunately, this means that getting full and fair financial support can be extremely difficult.
Our California Jones Act lawyers have deep experience representing clients in settlement negotiations. We have a strong record of successful results. If the insurance company refuses to treat you fairly, our trial-tested personal injury attorneys are always ready to take your case to court.
Speak to Our California Jones Act Attorneys Today
At Starpoint LC, Attorneys at Law, our California maritime injury lawyers are committed to providing client-focused legal representation to injured victims. If you or your family member was hurt while working off the coast of California, we are prepared to help.
To set up a free, no-commitment review of your claim, please contact our law firm right away. From our law office in Los Angeles, we handle Jones Act maritime injury claims throughout the state of California.