Contingency Fee Lawyers in California
When you have been injured because of another party’s negligence or wrongful act, you may be thinking about filing a personal injury lawsuit.
Yet if you are considering a lawsuit, your injury likely resulted in significant medical bills, lost wages, and other costs that would make it difficult if not impossible for you to pay for a lawyer’s fees up front.
As such, you may be seeking out an experienced and dedicated attorney who can handle your case on contingency. In searching for a lawyer to assist with your case, you may be searching terms like “contingency lawyers California” or “contingency lawyers near me.”
As you seeking help with a personal injury lawsuit but do not have the money to pay an attorney before you take your case to trial? An experienced California contingency lawyer near you can get started on your case today. In the meantime, at Starpoint LC, Attorneys at Law, we want to tell you more about contingency fee lawyers in California and how contingency fee agreements work.
What Are Contingency Lawyers?
What are contingency lawyers, or contingency fee attorneys? The American Bar Association (ABA) explains that a contingency fee lawyer is an advocate who only takes a payment if she or he handles the client’s case successfully. In other words, the contingency attorney only takes a payment or fee if that attorney is able to win the case for the client. The lawyer only gets paid if the client gets paid.
Many personal injury attorneys will work “on contingency,” which means that the attorney will handle your case without getting paid up front and will only take attorney’s fees if the plaintiff obtains compensation through a settlement or jury verdict. A contingency lawyer sets up what is known as a “contingency fee agreement” with the client.
In the contingency fee agreement, the lawyer agrees to take a percentage of whatever the plaintiff’s final settlement or verdict is rather than charging the plaintiff up front to handle the case.
Contingency fees vary depending upon the attorney and, in some situations, the specific facts of the case. It is important to work with a lawyer to determine what a contingency fee agreement would look like in your case.
For example, let’s say you were injured in an accident and obtain a settlement of $500,000. Your contingency fee agreement might have specified that your contingency attorney Los Angeles would take 30 percent of your recovery. If you obtained a total of $500,000, your attorney would take 30 percent of that amount, or $150,000, plus any costs expended on your behalf to litigate the case. The plaintiff would take home the remaining amount of the recovery, or $350,000 minus costs.
What You Should Look for in a Contingency Attorney Los Angeles
When you are seeking out a contingency fee attorney California, what should you look for in an advocate? The following are examples of questions you may want to ask a contingency fee attorney:
- What cases have you handled that are similar to mine?
- What settlements and verdicts have you obtained in previous cases?
- Can I speak with previous clients, or see client testimonials, to learn more about settlements and damages awards in addition to their experiences during the case?
- How will the contingency fee agreement work for my case?
- What percentage will you take if we obtain a settlement or a damages award after a jury verdict?
- Can I reduce my legal costs in any way?
- Will an award of attorney’s fees in my case affect the ultimate amount that the attorney receives for compensation?
- Will I be responsible for overhead costs, like copying documents or mailing documents?
- How will costs associated with my case be paid, such as costs for investigators, expert witnesses, and accident reconstruction experts?
- Will you handle court fees, filing fees, and discovery costs up front, and how will those costs impact my total recovery once my case ends?
- How will my total recovery be taxed—on the amount I take home or on the amount prior to paying my attorney’s fees?
- Will I be able to decide whether to settle since you are taking my case on contingency?
- How much of a say will I be able to have in a settlement process?
Benefits of Working with a Contingency Lawyer in California
The primary benefit of working with an experienced contingency fee attorney is that the injured plaintiff does not have to pay legal fees up front. Rather, an injured plaintiff can have the benefit of working with a dedicated personal injury attorney without worrying about the initial costs of representation.
The injured plaintiff can also be reassured knowing that the lawyer will only be paid if the lawyer is able to recover compensation for the plaintiff.
Contact a California Contingency Attorney to Handle Your Case
If you were injured in an accident or as a result of another party’s careless or harmful act, you deserve to seek financial compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit. Even if you cannot afford to pay an attorney up front, you should know that you can work with a personal injury lawyer on a contingency fee basis. Your attorney will only be paid if you obtain compensation.
An experienced Los Angeles contingency fee attorney at our firm can speak with you today about your case and your options for moving forward with a claim. Contact Starpoint LC, Attorneys at Law to learn more about how we can assist with your case.