Can You Receive Compensation for a Drug Rehab Facility Negligence?
While rehabilitation facilities are not held to the same standard regulations as hospitals, they still maintain a duty to keep patients safe from harm.
However, the lack of strict regulations means some facilities might be guilty of providing substandard care and other acts of negligence.
Pursuing a claim against a facility can be complicated.
If you believe you’re the victim of drug rehab clinic negligence, you need to speak with an experienced California personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
When Patients Suffer Harm by Drug Rehab Clinic Treatment
Patients in a rehab facility could suffer harm in numerous ways, including from the treatment they receive.
Rehab negligence is common when patients don’t have a standard plan in place.
Examples of injuries due to rehab treatment itself include:
- Patient suffering withdrawal symptoms and the rehab facility doesn’t provide the necessary care;
- Doctor prescribing medication for addiction that has severe interactions with a patient’s existing prescriptions; or
- Patient is allowed to do a controlled relapse which goes terribly wrong and causes the patient further injuries.
Examples such as these may rise to the level of medical malpractice. Rehab patients deserve to receive the highest standard of medical care in a drug rehab clinic.
Physicians need to address withdrawal symptoms while managing existing health conditions, such as autoimmune disorders, diabetes, high blood pressure, epilepsy, etc.
Rehab Negligence and Abuse by Staff
Unfortunately, not all staff in drug rehab facilities treat patients with the best intentions.
Much like nursing home residents, you’ll find patients of a drug rehab clinic face similar risks for abuse and neglect.
- Patient neglect that leads to injuries or relapse,
- Physical abuse by staff,
- Inappropriate sedation or restraints,
- Mental abuse,
- Sexual abuse by staff members or other patients,
- Other assaults by staff or patients, or
- Unmonitored patients who end up self-harming or committing suicide.
If you suffered abuse or neglect while in a drug rehab clinic, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
Premises Liability Injuries in Drug Rehab Facilities
Rehab negligence also includes issues with the facility itself. A drug rehab clinic must keep the premises safe from hazards and dangerous conditions.
If the facility knows of a hazardous condition or should have known of the danger, they could be held liable for your injuries.
Examples can include:
- Slipping and falling on a wet floor,
- Failing through a broken stair rail,
- Tripping over loose carpeting,
- Tripping on a loose or broken stair,
- Slipping and falling on loose rugs or torn carpeting, or
- Falling on icy walkways.
Proving rehab negligence in a premises liability matter rests on whether the facility knew of the hazard and had a warning posted.
If someone spilled water only minutes before you slipped, proving negligence may be difficult.
However, if there was a broken stair rail for three weeks and the facility did nothing, you could have a valid premises liability claim.
Contact a California Personal Injury Lawyer
If you sustained injuries during a stay at a drug rehab clinic, you might have a personal injury claim for rehab negligence.
However, you need to speak with an experienced lawyer who can help you determine your legal rights and the best course of action.
When you are ready, the skilled team at Starpoint Law is here to help. We have years of experience assisting injured California victims fight for the compensation they deserve.
Contact our office today to schedule a consultation. Let us help you hold the responsible parties accountable for your injuries.